As a prominent Portland family photographer, I understand the importance that preparation plays in creating an atmosphere for extraordinary fall family portraits. Parents often seek a seamless planning experience and with these 5 tips for fall family portraits you’ll have nothing to worry about. My goal is to make your family portrait experience as fun and stress-free as possible. So, let’s dive into my 5 tips to help you and your family create some beautiful family portraits this year!
I am participating in a blog circle this month and am sharing a link to another amazing photographer in the Twin Cities! Be sure to check out her link at the end of this blog post.
5 Tips for Fall Family Portraits
- Book Early – Fall is the busiest time of the year for family photography and my calendar fills up quickly. The earlier you reach out about fall family portraits, the better. This is definitely something you don’t want to sit on. I also work with you to help plan for your session and I prefer to book sessions at least six weeks in advance so that we have time to prepare for your session.
2. Pick out your location – We have so many beautiful locations to choose from in our area. Immerse yourselves in vibrant fall colors, gilded grasslands, or the majesty of mountains and rivers – each location on my list is carefully selected for its beautiful light and refined charm. You can pick from any location on my list and we’ll create some stunning memories for you and your family no matter where we are.
3. Select Your Outfits – It’s important to select your outfits well in advance of your session, so that you can mark this off your list early and aren’t left scrambling the night before your session. I love to help families plan their outfits. Prior to your session, we’ll jump on a pre-session planning call to go over outfits for your entire family. I have a feminine client wardrobe sized (XS-XXXL) for you to borrow from and baby clothes (0-18M). We’ll go over some vision boards for your family on our call and I’ll help you coordinate everyone’s outfits so it all looks cohesive for your session.
4. Explain to your family how much the photos mean to you – Sit down with your family a few days before your session and explain what’s about to happen. Tell them you are going to go on a little adventure together as a family and Ashlie is going to be there to take their photographs. Explain to them how much these photos mean to you and how excited you are for them. Your excitement for these portraits will resonate with your children, adding an irreplaceable sparkle to their smiles! You can read more about how to prep your kids for their photo session here.
5. Have fun with your family! – Your fall family portraits are an opportunity to create some beautiful, lasting memories with your lovely family. So, let’s have fun! Don’t worry about your children behaving or smiling and looking at the camera the whole time. We want you to interact with them. Tell them how much you love them, tickle them, have fun and relax. They will follow your lead. Look at them like they are always and forever being the cutest kiddo you’ve ever seen. Allow the authenticity of your bonds to shine through, for true magic emerges when you embrace the chaos and revel in the love you share.
Sounds pretty easy now, right? Just remember to plan ahead and have fun and you’ll be golden.
Have other questions about fall family portraits? Leave me a comment below and I’ll get back to you!
Embark on a journey of timeless artistry with me, Ashlie, a maternity, newborn and family photographer based in Portland, Oregon. As a recorder of memories, I am committed to providing you with a luxurious portrait experience.
You deserve to be pampered a bit before your photo session which is why I’ve paired with an amazing hair and make-up artist who will ensure your natural beauty shines bright.
Let me help you with all the little details of planning your session. From styling your family, to leading you in fun games at your session to creating beautiful artwork of your photographs so you can cherish them for always. I’m here to help you with it all!
Interested in learning more? Click here to read more about the experience.
Ready to book? Fantastic!
I book sessions at least six weeks plus in advance, the sooner you get in touch the better.
Remember to check out this blog post by Ann Marie, an amazing Twin Cities Family Photographer, about Storytelling family photo sessions.